Football Recaps: Sept. 8
North Alabama 25, Alabama A&M 20
FBS #7 Auburn 63, Alabama State 9
Northwestern State 34, Grambling State 7
Louisiana Tech 54, Southern 17
FCS #4 Sam Houston State 41, Prairie View A&M 32
FCS #12 Jacksonville State 71, Mississippi Valley State 0
Texas State 36, Texas Southern 20
Arkansas-Pine Bluff 55, Cumberland (Tenn.) 0
Alcorn State 78, Louisiana College 0
LORMAN, MS – The host Braves scored on 12 of their 15 possessions with 11 touchdowns, one field goal and just three punts in a record-setting performance at Spinks-Marino Casem Stadium on Saturday night. It was the most points scored by Alcorn State in the history of the stadium.
Alcorn State (1-1) sprinted out to a 27-0 lead at the end of the first quarter on touchdowns by Alvin Wilson (eight-yard punt return), Raidarious Anderson (a 54-yard reception from Noah Johnson), P.J Simmons (a nine-yard run), and Chris Blair (a 14-yard reception from Johnson).
Johnson completed 7-of-9 passes for 95 yards with two touchdowns and Felix Harper completed 7-of-11 for 74 yards with two touchdowns as well. 12 different players recorded a reception as the Braves racked up 629 total yards of offense.
- Alabama A&M kicker Spencer Corey kicked his second field goal of the night, a 19-yarder, late in the third quarter to give the Bulldogs a 20-18 lead. After forcing UNA to punt, Alabama A&M (1-1) had the ball and was driving into the Lions’ territory with a chance to extend the cushion to two possessions. A turnover changed the momentum. UNA (2-0) recovered a fumble and Christian Lopez led the Lions on a scoring drive that ended with a 30-yard touchdown pass to Jakobi Byrd.
- The announced crowd of 84,806 was the largest crowd that Alabama State (1-1) has played in front, in their first trip to Jordan-Hare Stadium against seventh-ranked Auburn.
- Shelton Eppler threw four touchdown passes, including three in the first quarter, as the Northwestern State jumped out to a big lead and did not look back in a 34-7 victory over Grambling State on Saturday night at Turpin Stadium. Grambling State (0-2) got in position to score when the Tigers completed a 38-yard pass from Aldon Clark to Raylon Richardson to set up shop at the Demons 12-yard line. Three plays later, Kevin Dominique scored on a six-yard run to cap a six-play, 70-yard drive and closed the gap to 21-7 with 14:45 remaining in the second quarter.
- Southern quarterback John Lampley completed 17-of-29 passes for 179 yards with one passing touchdown and rushing for another touchdown for the Jaguars. Louisiana Tech celebrated the first 50 years of Joe Aillet Stadium.
- Prairie View A&M running back Dawonya Tucker posted his second straight 200-yard rushing game, rushing 21 times for a career-high 245 yards and two touchdowns at FCS #4 Sam Houston State.
- Mississippi Valley State (0-2) was outgained 654 to 113 in total yards of offense at FCS #12 Jacksonville State.
- Texas Southern (1-1) scored all 20 of its points in the second half led by quarterback Jay Christophe, who completed 21-of-40 passes for a game-high 315 yards and three touchdowns with two to Tren’Davian Dickson and another to Chris Long.
- Arkansas-Pine Bluff (1-1) and Cumberland (Tenn.) had a two hour and 25-minute lightning delay. The Golden Lions racked up 527 total yards of offense behind quarterback Shannon Patrick, who completed 10-of-11 passes for 227 yards and three touchdowns.
- The Southern Heritage Classic between Jackson State and Tennessee State in Memphis, Tenn. was cancelled due to lightning and will not be made up