For over 100 years Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) sports and the legends they have created have been one of the best kept secrets. Stars like Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, Charles Oakley, Wilma Rudolph and Michael Strahan all trace their collegiate careers back to HBCU’s. A desire to provide national media exposure for this unique sports community and pay homage to past and present stars gave birth to Heritage Sports Radio Network (HSRN).
Established in 2006, HSRN was created to serve the loyal fans of HBCU sports. Our diverse broadcast network was designed to provide the 7 million HBCU sports fans easy access to our programming. Our affinity with this community and knowledge of this landscape combined with state-of-the art technology and cutting edge programming has positioned HSRN as “the preeminent voice of HBCU sports”.
The Game Plan
There are 105 HBCU’s located in the United States of America. These institutions represent the educational and cultural backbone of the African American community. Currently, there are 400 thousand students and faculty, 2.6 million alumni and 4 million community supporters of HBCU’s. These 7 million loyal fans are the “Vanguard” for the larger African American community. They are educated, affluent and highly influential in maintaining and shaping African American culture.
HSRN has developed a multi-platform network that allows fans of HBCU sports to easily find our game broadcasts and sports programs. We combined radio (satellite and terrestrial), the internet (HSRN.com and streaming affiliates), print media and television (sportsgroove TV) to create a network that can effectively reach the 7 million fans of HBCU sports.
What distinguishes HSRN from others who cover HBCU sports is our programming. Our game broadcasts, talk shows, feature segments and news updates, provide the broad canvas required to paint an accurate picture of this unique sports community. Our objective is to entertain and educate our audience as we pay tribute to the stars of yesteryear and those currently on the rise.
On Air personalities include:
- Omarr Bashir – CEO of Omibear Productions, Inc. has 18 years of radio experience under his belt. Prior to launching HSRN, Bashir was the host of, “In The Zone” on 1290 AM The Ticket. A three-hour drive time show (3pm-6pm) in Wilmington, De.
- Michael Walker – Mike has more than ten years of radio and television announcing experience. The former Delaware State quarterback also serves as HSRN’s General Manager.
- Lamont Germany – For the past 10 years Lamont has become the “Voice of Morgan State University Sports”. He is currently a talk show host and producer for XM Satellite Radio. Lamont serves as HSRN’s Director of Affiliates
- Mark Gray – the Morgan State graduate is presently serving as HSRN Director of Multi Media. He brings over 10 years of radio and television experience which includes ESPN radio and XM Satellite radio.
- Gary Laing – the Delaware State graduate is on board as one of the teams play-by-play announcers. He brings over 42 years of radio and television experience which includes the Baltimore, MD and Delaware markets and Comcast Sports.
- Mike Wilson – The Maryland Eastern Shore graduate has over 15 years of marketing and sales that include collegiate athletics and the United States Olympic Committee. Mike serves as HSRN’s Director of Marketing and Sales.
- Wallace Dooley – a graduate of Tennessee State University, Dooley brings over 30 years of HBCU collegiate athletic media relations experience to the HSRN team. Dooley will coordinate HSRN’s polls and Players of the Week features.